6.20.2013

June 20th Update

I have been checking on the garden in the morning and again in the evening.  This is the time of year that the Squash Vine Borer attack so I am watching closely.  We had to remove our row covers because the plants were outgrowing them (and some plants need to be pollinated by bees).  We had no idea that everything would get so big so fast.  We did make a taller row cover for BED #2 (which you can see below in the picture).  This is an experiment so we will see if it works.   
For reference BED #1 (Asparagus) starts on the left.
Evidence that my little helper has been digging in the dirt!
Zinnias are just starting to bloom!
Tomato plants on deck.
BED# 1- (pictured below) Asparagus, Parsley, Tomatoes (just planted) & Basil (just planted).



Baby Tomato plants & Basil plants (just planted after removing Peas)


Asparagus are very happy.  Next year we can start harvesting them.  
For the first year we just let them fern out.
My amazing Asparagus Beetle catcher!
Each day I check for Asparagus Beetles and I find them on the plants!  I use the glass jar pictured above and I have it filled with water and some liquid dish soap.  I find the beetle put the jar under it and knock it in.  This is much easier than trying to get them with your fingers. 

BED# 2- (pictured below) Cauliflower, Broccoli, Corn, Pole Beans & Winter Squash.




Help the Cauliflower & Broccoli are falling out of the beds!
 








Our first sign of Broccoli!
I made a mistake by planting the Winter Squash plants that I had already started indoors with the corn and beans.  We were trying to do the 3 Sisters Iroquois tradition but I wasn't patient and planted the Squash before the corn and beans.  I had to add cages to the Squash so it wouldn't take over.  This will be interesting!
More detail of Squash, Corn & Beans

 CENTER OF GARDEN- (pictured below) Two Watermelon plants.  This is our first year to try them.
Growing in ground between BED #2 & #3

BED# 3- (pictured below) Onions, Carrots, Bush Beans & Summer Squash.
This bed is out of control!
(Next year we need to pick some of the Onions earlier so they don't overtake the Carrots)
Onion blooming??
(3) Summer Squash in back of BED #3

 BED# 4- (pictured below) Bush Zucchini, Peppers, Eggplant & Cucumbers.
 






Female bloom on Zucchini



The Zucchini are happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment