It has been unusually cold this past week (-7 degrees) and I have been craving some warm comfort food. I decided to break out my grandma's Homemade Chicken & Dumpling recipe to warm us up! This recipe has been in our family since 1960 and it is delicious.
2 cups of flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup Crisco vegetable shortening
2/3 cup cold water or less (I add one ice cube to the water)
32 fl.oz (1 qt) Clear chicken broth (33% less sodium)
1 spoon chicken bullion granules
4 chicken breasts (can use type with bone for added flavor)
1/4 cup cornstarch
Directions for starting chicken & broth:
1. Put the chicken in large pot and just cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook chicken. Leave water simmering and add bullion and chicken broth to the pot.
2. Remove chicken from pot. (Remove from bone if you used this type). Cut chicken into small pieces.
Directions for Roll-out Dumplings:
1. Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
2. Add shortening to the bowl and cut the shortening into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or fork.
3. Add 2/3 cup cold water (or less) to the dry ingredients. Use your hands to break up the pieces of shortening.
4. Flour a work surface or large cutting board. Kneed the dough with knuckles (about 40-50 times). The dough will be very tough. You can't over kneed the dough.
5. Roll out the dough (this is the tough part). Keep working with it and rolling it out as it pulls back. You want it to be about 1/8" thick and as large as you can get it.
6. Cut the dough into strips 1" wide. Then break the strips into pieces about 6" long.
7. Drop the strips into the boiling broth.
8. Cover the pot and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. DO NOT stir.
9. Add chicken pieces into the pot after the dumplings have cooked 20 to 30 minutes.
10. Add 1/4 cup cornstarch dissolved in water a little at a time after dumplings have cooked. This will thicken up your broth.
Serve with mashed potatoes from your garden and enjoy the taste of your Homemade Chicken & Dumplings!