6.16.2014

Unveiling the Raised Beds

I found the first bloom of the season on a Zucchini plant.  That meant it was time to remove the row covers.  Unless I have time to hand pollinate them (which I don't) the bees need to be able to get to the plants for pollination.  At this point the plants are healthy and mature enough to handle most of the pests that will come along.  So let the unveiling begin!
All four beds in a row.  Plants are happy and healthy!
Flowers are growing fast in the 2 front beneficial garden beds. Blooms to come soon!
BED #1- Parsley, Asparagus & Summer Squash
I have kept the row cover on the Asparagus bed because they don't need to be pollinated.  Its also challenging to hand pick all the Asparagus Beetles that land on these plants.  Unfortunately I discovered that the Asparagus Beetles overwinter in the soil so I am already battling them. I have to admit I am disappointed that this has happened again this year.  I have tried dusting them with bone meal as well as spraying them with a homemade garlic spray.  I still find about 10-15 per day on the plants.
Asparagus Beetle on Asparagus plant
BED #2- Zucchini, Lettuce, Onions, Tomatoes, Okra & Cucumbers

 This bed is very happy.  The Zucchini are getting large and starting to bloom.  I just have to watch out for the Squash Vine Borer.  I already found one trying to land on the plant and quickly got rid of it.  The Tomatoes and Okra are both growing fast and blooming.  The Cucumbers are in the back and will be growing up the net soon.
CENTER HERB BED- Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, Cilantro, Basil, Tomato, Peppers & Marigolds.
 I have already harvested some of the Basil, Cilantro and Parsley.  This is the first time I have done an herb bed.  In the future it will become the kids garden.
BED #3- Zucchini, Green Beans (Bush), Peppers & Cucumbers
More Zucchini growing fast in this bed.  I made supports for them out of wire fencing to see if it helps them stay contained.
BED #4- Garlic, Lettuce, Onions, Dill & Summer Squash
 Its about time to harvest the Garlic.  The bottom leaves are turning brown now.  The Lettuce has been extremely productive and I have given some away because I have had so much!  Next year I may just plant half this amount! 
Raspberry bush & Tomatoes
 Potted Plants on Deck- I picked off 2 ripe raspberries and they were delicious.  Too bad they don't all ripen at the same time.  The tomatoes are growing fast and I can hardly believe that we started them from seed.  Small green tomatoes are already forming.
Flowers on the deck
Gerbera Daisy with 5 blooms!
Look for more to come on the new soaker system for the raised beds we have installed this year

No comments:

Post a Comment